Fuel prices are always on the rise in the country and when running a car, the price of petrol/diesel is a huge cost that takes up a lot of your money. But these simple tips and tricks, can help you reduce the running cost and free up your money for other things. Here are these:
- Engine Maintenance: Did you know when you drive a car, which has been parked for few hours, it consumes more fuel for the first five miles or so? Yes, that’s true! This is because the engine is cold. Likewise, an overheating engine can increase the petrol consumption by 10%. So it is important you make combined trips instead of the frequent ones and take care of your engine.
- Oil Change: We as users, usually ignore the oil change until the service is due because it definitely costs a sum. But if you change oil regularly, your engine won’t become an overused one and will almost cause 3% less petrol consumption.
- Tyre Pressure: This is one of the key factors that determine the mileage of your car and fuel consumption. So if your vehicle tyres are not filled with air properly it will massively require more power to move the car, which means more fuel consumption.
- Driving Off-Road: Don’t drive on the sand if you don’t have to. Driving on a non-solid road will generate more resistance in the car tyres adding more pressure on the engine and thereby increased petrol feeding for the engine.
- Less Weight: A filled boot lets you free up space from your garage or store room but adds a lot of weight to your car. So don’t keep so many things in the trunk all the time.
- Less Speed: There is no doubt that we all love to drive fast because it brings that adrenaline rush to our bodies but higher speed means your engine also requires more petrol! According to Consumer Reports driving at a speed of 100km/h instead of 120km/h will save you enough fuel to drive extra 21 kilometres for each 10 litres of petrol. Yes, try it!
- Smooth Driving: Avoid sudden speed increase (unless you wanted to avoid an accident) try to smoothly change your speed and don’t be an aggressive driver because it hurts your engine and requires more petrol.
- Filling the Tank: Fill the tank between the third and half of your tank to regulate the fuel consumption, don’t wait until the tank is empty to feed your car.
- Waiting Time: Turn off your car while you’re waiting because the engine can burn enough fuel to drive you 1.5km every minute. Hybrid cars automatically stop fuel consumption when it stops.
- Don’t Drive: Okay, what’s the best way to save petrol? Don’t use it. If your trip is too short to drive your car, you can save petrol and parking fees by using a bicycle or metro for example and this is a solution that comes with added health benefits. Isn’t it?
Tell us your Methods to Save Fuel
Got more tips? Why not share with us. Comment your best tips and tricks to save fuel and preserve a healthy engine. Meanwhile, if you’re thinking to buy better pre-owned cars why don’t you have a look at our inventory of used cars in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Ajman. Click www.MechaniCar.com